Monday 29 May 2006

"All By Myself" - Eric Carmen, 1976

Along with four friends from the UK, John and I witnessed a very special moment in baseball on this date in 2000. We saw the only unassisted triple play which has ever occurred at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx! This historic event was executed by Randy Velarde of the Oakland A's against the Yankees.

I must admit that I had completely forgotten about this important anniversary...at least I had before I saw that my husby wrote a blog item about it before I even got up this morning. So perhaps I'll just direct you to his entry rather than trying to reinvent the wheel myself!

I'll always remember that game for another reason as well. It was the first time I ever saw Center Fielder Bernie Williams play live-and-in-person! And he's been my favorite Yankee ever since.

It's worth noting that the 29th of May back in 2000 was also "Memorial Day" in the States. And as it's a Bank Holiday here in the UK, John and I are enjoying a relaxing Monday off work right along with my American friends and family.

Janet

2 Comments:

At 29 May, 2006 20:45 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good grief! It sounds like the baseball equivalent of the off-side rule. What exactly is an unassisted triple play?

 
At 29 May, 2006 21:33 , Blogger Janet said...

Nozza,

It's when one fielder gets all three outs in an inning -- to end the inning -- all by himself.

Unassisted double-plays aren't that unusual, but triples are extremely rare.

The one we saw happened so fast that I didn't even realize what we'd seen!

Janet

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home