Tuesday 19 August 2008

"Get Out of My Way" - Asher, 2001

As I mentioned yesterday, John and I had a wonderful weekend near Pluckley, in Kent, with Mike and Eileen (John's uncle and aunt). I'll share a few of the photos here. As always, you can click on any image for a BIG version!


Doesn't their lovely home look like something from a travel brochure?





And our other hostess was the lovely Maud!





One of the highlights of the trip was a walk in Hothfield Common. It's a nature reserve, managed by the Ashford Borough Council, and given the label of a "Site of Special Scientific Interest". You can read about it on the Kent County Council's website. I also found an interesting PDF file about the area.






There are some fascinating examples of trees growing out of other fallen trees.




We saw wonderful heather.





And there was wildlife. These Polish ponies (sorry, Mike - I can't remember their name) happily graze away.




Mike and Eileen had told us that there are also Highland cattle grazing within Hothfield Common. We rounded a corner, during our walk, and saw the following right in the middle of the path...





And she (I think it's a "she"?) didn't budge. Even the sight of Maud (who was on a lead by this time, as you might imagine) didn't faze her as we approached.





They are such beautiful creatures, aren't they? This is the closest I've ever been to them...apart from the baby that John and I saw just outside our own village a few years ago.




It was a wonderful experience!


Janet

3 Comments:

At 20 August, 2008 22:16 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

Enjoyed viewing your photos. Kent is a beautiful area of England. How did these Highland cows get down there from Scotland? And I bet they are far too warm there with their shaggy coats on.

 
At 21 August, 2008 20:22 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too warm? This "summer"?

You're kidding, right?

:)

Noz

 
At 24 August, 2008 04:29 , Blogger Jodie said...

I love the house! You always make me want to jump the water and become an expatriate!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home