Friday 18 February 2005

"Who Can It Be Now?" - Men at Work, 1982

When John first mentioned, many years ago, that he enjoyed listening to BBC Radio 5 in the morning, I looked them up on the web. News and sports station. AM radio. No music at all. It didn't sound all that intriguing to me, even given what a news junkie I was and still am. (I was, after all, the only person in the trading room always monitoring CNN!) I didn't see the point of a non-music radio station at that point in my life.

However, over the years, I grew to appreciate John's view of
Five Live Breakfast. I've become completely hooked on the show. I even accepted (albeit very reluctantly) the changeover from Julian & Victoria to Nicky & Victoria...and now to Nicky & Shelagh. It's the best before-work program ever...sorry, Katie & Matt!

They really made me laugh this morning. Shelagh is away, and her replacement had a small slip-of-the-tongue. She was reading a story about global warning...saying that a new report suggests that it is indeed man-made. But she misread the story, saying that global warming has been caused by "a man". I could hear the others chuckle in the background. Nicky wondered out loud who that man might be. So did I! He suggested that perhaps he's the very same man who has stolen that plutonium that they talked about 24 hours earlier. (John wrote about that
here.) The texts and e-mails immediately started coming into the station, with suggestions from listeners regarding who that man could be. John Prescott was, I believe, the first suggestion. I couldn't help thinking that at least we know it couldn't be Al Gore! I had to leave for work soon afterward, so I missed the other suggestions. (Sometimes I listen to the radio in the car during my "commute", but this morning I was more interested in listening to Willie Nelson on the CD player-- see the post below!) However, I noted with amusement that the next time she read that same news story, the wording had been changed to indicate that "mankind" was/were (never sure about that one...) to blame for global warming.

Once I got into my office in Oxford, I was able to listen to Five Live for a few more minutes before any of my nearby colleagues arrived....thanks to a cool little
Pure Evoke-1 digital radio sitting on my desk. I heard the news item one more time, and again the cause of global warming had been reworded by the BBC. This time it was because of "humans". Whew! That clears that one up!

Janet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home