Wednesday 6 February 2008

"(Open Up the) Red Box" - Simply Red, 1985

John found this very interesting article -- "Who Uses Phone Boxes" -- on the BBC's website this morning. As he said to me, the article is made even more interesting because it's about red telephone boxes in Oxford. I walk by many of those mentioned going between the bus stop (in the northern part of the city centre) and the office (on the south edge of the city centre).

I asked John if he wanted to write a blog item himself, linking to the article. But he kindly offered it to me instead.

They are such an iconic symbol of Britain, aren't they?

Even our village (some people call it a town...I'm not sure which is correct) has a vintage red phone box in the market square. You can see it in the photo below, if you look closely, to the right of the building in the center-ish foreground of the shot. There's a white van parked right next to the box.


(Click on the image for a full-sized version.)


Janet

1 Comments:

At 06 February, 2008 15:26 , Blogger Expat mum said...

I would have thought they were mostly used for dodgy purposes these days. I also thought that most of them had been shipped off around the world for display and decoative purposes. I wonder if I can fit one in my back 'yard'.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home