Wednesday 23 January 2008

"Encourage Me Baby" - Little Joe Blue, 1997

UPDATE TO THE POST WHICH FOLLOWS:

John's consultant called him about 7:15 this evening. After John described his current level and type of pain, the surgeon didn't seem overly concerned and told John that this degree of pain at 3 weeks from the op was "within the normal spectrum". He said that there could be improvement over the next week or so; but that for some patients, this type of residual pain can last 6 weeks or more after the surgery. He does, however, think it would be a good idea for John to have an x-ray taken in the next few days -- just to be safe -- and John will talk to the administrative assistant for the consultant about that tomorrow (Thursday) morning.

We both are feeling a little more positive this evening. Thanks so much for all of the great comments, everybody! Please send good vibes.

Janet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ORIGINAL POST:

I've been postponing writing this post since the weekend, hoping that I wouldn't need to do it. But I do. And I might feel a little bit better if I do.

John's just not feeling as well as either of us thought he'd be feeling at this point following his neck surgery. We're disappointed and fighting very hard not to get discouraged. So far so good. But it's only because, for the moment, when one of us starts feeling too down the other steps in to do the encouraging.

He's finding that much of the pain that sent him to the doctor in the first place (last August) is back. He's as debilitated as he was for the first week after he got home from the hospital. This morning, for example, he was only upright for about an hour before the pain became severe enough that he had to lie back down. To be fair, his neck/shoulder mobility is much better than it was before the surgery. So that's good. And he was told by the consultant surgeon that some of the original pain might temporarily return as the healing process progressed.

But we really thought he'd feel better than this.

Tomorrow will be the 3-week anniversary of the surgery itself. And John's followup appointment with the surgeon isn't until the 13th of February.

I've been urging him to put in a call to the consultant and tell him what's going on -- either to get confirmation that this is a "normal" reaction to the procedure or to get an appointment ASAP to find out what's going on. John has been very reluctant to do so. Being British, he isn't as "direct" (his terminology) about things as I am. But this morning, he's left a message with the surgeon's admin assistant, saying that he has some concerns that he'd like to talk about. We'll see what comes of it.

I hope what the consultant says to him makes him feel better. I'm trying so hard to be upbeat and encouraging, but I fear I'm failing him a little...

Just wanted to vent a bit today, I guess. That's one of the good things about blogging. But also, I wanted John's friends & family to know why we're a little quiet these days.

Janet

6 Comments:

At 23 January, 2008 15:04 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of John's continuing pain, Janet. Please pass on to him my wishes for his speedy recovery.

 
At 23 January, 2008 15:49 , Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Hope doc's can shed some light on this. John's more patient than I would be, I have such a low pain tolerance, I'd be on the phone whining every day! Good luck, chin up!

 
At 23 January, 2008 16:32 , Blogger Mama in Chile said...

Janet, so sorry to hear this, I truly hope the doctors will be able to help and I'm sure he'll be back to his great old normal self again. Thinking of you.

 
At 23 January, 2008 17:06 , Blogger John Nolan said...

Thanks from me to everyone for their good wishes - and you should all know that Janet isn't "failing me" in the least! She's doing a GREAT job of looking after me AND keeping my spirits up!

:)

John

 
At 24 January, 2008 16:45 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't catch your post yesterday - we were celbrating our 43rd anniversary. Glad to hear you both are feeling a bit more positive after the chat with the consultant. You both will be in my thoughts.

 
At 24 January, 2008 20:08 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

We are ALL routing for him, Janet. You must be stressed out too. Pass him all our sympathy and lets hope he gets much better soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home