Tuesday 22 February 2005

"Homesick" - Finn Brothers, 2004

It all started with one of my New Year's resolutions -- to eat more fruits and veggies.

Last week, during my adventurous after-work trip to Sainsbury's in Banbury, I picked up some apples. I didn't notice until this morning that they are a variety I don't think I've ever had before. I assumed that these Empire apples, like many of the apples you can buy here in England, were from New Zealand...especially with a name like "Empire". But I'd failed to notice the "Product of the USA" sticker on each piece of fruit. It turns out they are from New York State. Duh! I should have thought about that. Especially since I love New York City and the surrounding area so much. I even have a large wooden version of the Empire State Building in the front entrance area of the house I'm leasing here in Oxfordshire.

A little quick web research taught me a lot about apples. First, I found the
New York Apple Country website, where I learned that the Empire's especially nice taste comes from the fact that the variety is a hybrid of the Red Delicious and McIntosh apples...and I agree with the description that the Empire has a "sweet-tart taste". I went on to find the US Apple Association's website, where I learned even more about various varieties of apples that I enjoy.

Then I thought it only fair to see if there was an equivalent website for English apple growers -- if there were any -- and lo and behold I found the site for the
East of England Apples and Orchards Project.

But then, as I ate my New York state apple, I thought of the term "The Big Apple" and wondered where it had come from...and why I'd never thought about that before. After all, I lived in Manhattan myself for 7-1/2 years...and there's even a photo on
this page which proves it!

So although I haven't had much time to spend on it yet, I recommend an interesting looking site called "The Big Apple".
I've read only enough to learn that the term was already in use in the 1920's, by a fellow named John J Fitz Gerald, a track writer for the "New York Morning Telegraph" newspaper. Interesting. I'll dig more into that site when I have some time.

I miss "The City" so much. I guess I always will. I often wonder how I can feel so incredibly "homesick" for a city which was just a temporary stop along the way during the adventure of my life.

Janet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home