Monday 7 March 2005

"Teach Your Children" - Crosby, Stills & Nash, 1970

Last Friday, I had two very interesting encounters with little girls...one in Oxford and the other in the village where I live.

In Oxford, it involved a little blonde girl. I walked right by her as I was heading for the bus, having just left the office. She couldn't have been older than 4 or 5. She was standing in front of Starbuck's with a woman I assume was her mother. And I'll bet that her mother is a Blondie fan. The little girl was obviously off in her own world...swirling and dancing and smiling...and singing "One way...or another...I'm gonna find you...I'm gonna get ya get ya get ya get ya..." in a really beautiful little voice, at the top of her lungs! I couldn't help but smile. It's just not a song you typically hear a child sing!

The second encounter occurred as I walked from the village food store back to my house, after going over there to pick up a few things for the weekend. I walked by a row of wonderful old ironstone cottages, and one of the residents and her young girl were getting out of their green VW. I've seen them before. The little girl looks like a child model. She has bright red hair and freckles and is very pretty. She's probably 7 or 8 years old. As I approached, she shouted out "Hello!" in a friendly tone. When I returned her hello, she then exclaimed in the cutest little British accent I think I've ever heard, "And GOOD EVENING to you!". Her mother got out of the car about that time, made eye contact with me, and said, "Well, at least she's polite!"...and we both chuckled.

I feel so much at home here!

Janet

2 Comments:

At 08 March, 2005 14:03 , Blogger Donna said...

Janet, the girls sound adorable! There's nothing more precious than a British accent on a little child! When I first met my husband's neice and nephew they were 2 and 5 and I could sit an listen to them talk all day; they were so adorable!

 
At 09 March, 2005 00:29 , Blogger Donna said...

I just wanted to come back and thank you for putting that song into my head! It's been twirling around between my ears - and sometimes escaping my mouth - all day long!

One way...or another...I'm gonna find you...I'm gonna get ya get ya get ya get ya...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home