Tuesday 19 April 2005

"Words" - Bee Gees, 1968

It's funny how words can give such different connotation depending upon where in the world they are being used.

In the States, if you used terms like "scheme" or "manifesto" within a news broadcast, Americans would immediately think they were referring to something questionable at the least or sinister at the worst.

But in Britain, a "scheme" can be something as innocent as a new type of account offered by a bank...or a new savings plan at work. A "manifesto" is what the political parties are currently presenting to the British people, ahead of next month's national elections, to help them decide how to vote.

I'm having to learn to listen to the news in an entirely new way.


Janet

1 Comments:

At 19 April, 2005 15:46 , Blogger Lily said...

Hey, you're living the opposite of me! :) It's strange being on the other side of the world, isn't it? And the things you miss... :(

I've just had a wee read through your blog, I like it, it made me laugh. Especially the posts I can identify with.

Take care and have fun! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home