Thursday 7 April 2005

"Blinded By The Light" - Manfred Mann's Earth Band, 1976

Sometimes the titles for my musings come easily. Do any of the rest of you "soundtrack" music in your heads, as John and I do? I suspect we're not alone...by a long shot. There's always music "playing" in my head. I guess I'm fantasizing that I'm starring in the movie of my own life or something. Or perhaps it's a sign of senility to come?

In any event, this morning's blog entry title was playing in my head as I drove down to the park and ride lot, heading into my office in Oxford. It's wonderful to drive in the sunlight again, after the dark, dreary British winter. I didn't even mind squinting!

But I got to thinking that my driving commutes in Houston were always fraught with the complication of staring into the sun. You see, no matter where I was living during my two rounds of residency in Houston, I always ended up driving east in the morning and back home to the west at the end of the workday. I always kept sunglasses in the car. I had to.

But here in England, I'm driving first south and then north going to/from work. That's quite a change! I can actually see what's around me without squinting into the glare of the rising or setting sun! This morning, it was the shadowy figures of a woman and her dog taking a morning stroll in one of the neighboring fields. It looked like something from an oil painting. Almost idyllic.

It's so refreshing to be taking such a different direction in my life these days!

Janet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home