Wednesday 6 April 2005

"Landslide" - Fleetwood Mac, 1975

It wasn't exactly a "landslide", but it sorta felt like it. The weather was awful in North Oxfordshire this morning. It was the first time I'd driven again in Britain since our vacation. I was already a little nervous about switching sides of the road and car again, after driving so much in the States over the past two weeks. And it was pouring with rain. At least it wasn't pitch black at 7am, as it had been only weeks before.

As I was driving down the A4260 (the two-lane road which connects my village to the nearest Oxford City park-and-ride lot) and meeting "lorries" (trucks, to us Yanks) on the other side of the road, I was getting splashed so severely that I felt like I'd been hit by a landslide. I love my little Audi. She's so calm and secure under those kinds of circumstances. But I still felt like I was being completely buried in water for a few seconds every time I met an oncoming truck on the narrow road. It was disconcerting...even if only briefly.

But the funny thing was, I really wasn't all that nervous. I didn't even feel disoriented being back in a righthand-drive car again. Really interesting. I guess my brain's becoming adapted to switching sides of the car and road. I suppose I am "bi-drival" now, as an American friend suggested!


Cool...!!!!

Janet

PS I really did soundtrack "Landslide" as I was driving this morning. As I walked into the office, I was thinking about the lyrics. I found this page on the web about this famous Stevie Nicks song. Funny. I've been thinking a lot about my parents lately, too. Wish they were around to share my joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home