Monday 5 November 2007

"Only the Good Die Young" - Billy Joel, 1977

Our news over the weekend was full of talk of the removal of King Tutankhamun from his sarcophagus, so that his mummified body could be put on public display for the first time. There's a link here to photos of the event on the BBC's website. They are quite remarkable...although a bit creepy.

But what kept going through my mind as I watched and heard the news from Egypt? I kept "soundtracking" Steve Martin's goofy song"King Tut". I mentioned that to John. He'd never heard the song before...much less seen any video of Martin's performance.

Thanks to YouTube, it was possible to show John the "Saturday Night Live" performance from (gasp!) 1978. Here's a link to the video. Perhaps some of my British readers will be curious; and for my American friends, it will bring back a lot of memories.

And after all these years, the clip still makes me cackle with laughter!

Remember: "He gave his life for tourism."

Janet

3 Comments:

At 06 November, 2007 05:46 , Blogger Kris said...

Hi Janet,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm always glad to make a new friend living in England. So far I haven't found many expats living in Oxfordshire. I can't wait to get started reading more of your blog!
Thanks,
Kris

 
At 06 November, 2007 23:19 , Blogger Wendy said...

Cracks me up! I still have my 45 RPM and I played it for the boys recently. Now it's stuck in MY head again.... (so thanks for that :)

 
At 08 November, 2007 22:05 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

I too had never seen or heard this song with Steve Martin. What a great actor and entertainer. Thanks for sharing this with us Janet.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home