Tuesday 4 March 2008

"Baby It's Cold Outside" - Margaret Whiting & Johnny Mercer, 1949

I seem to have twisted my foot during last week's Stavanger trip, so I've been working from home the past few days. Yesterday, we had an interesting weather "event" here in our village.

The weather forecasters told us that there could be some snow early in the week. But during the afternoon Monday, we got pelted with something that was larger than sleet but smaller and softer than hail. It was very cool, even though it lasted only about 20 minutes.

Here are a few photos taken from the house...and you can click on any of the photos for a full-sized image.



Here's a shot, taken from our bedroom window, while the white stuff came down.




I opened the window to try to figure out what the frozen stuff was. Here's some of it on the windowsill. It almost looked like rock salt.




And as soon as the precip stopped, the kids came out onto the playground of the elementary school next door. They started scrambling for what sleet/hail was left in the schoolyard, squealing with pleasure (as kids do)! Sadly, it melted quickly, as the temperature wasn't below freezing.


Janet

PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Larry!

2 Comments:

At 05 March, 2008 19:33 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A song from 1949 - good grief!

In my "youf" I would happily listen to music of the 60's and 70's but not realy any earlier. The kids I teach now also listen to music from the 60's and 70's, but they seem to draw the line at the t50's.

 
At 13 March, 2008 22:25 , Blogger Kris said...

Wow, this must have happened while I was in Paris last week, but even there we were hit by a sudden storm like this. I grew up in a state with very snowy winters, so unusual for me to have a winter with no or very little snow!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home