Wednesday 28 May 2008

"Nothing Like You" - Miles Davis, 1967

While listening to Nicky and Shelagh this morning, as I got ready for work, they mentioned that it's Kylie Minogue's 40th birthday today.

Now my American readers may or may not know who the Australian actress and singer is. I certainly didn't know much at all about her before moving to England. She's so popular here that you don't even have to use her last name for people to know who you mean.

Kylie is one of those "celebs" that I just don't get. (Would I understand better if I was a guy, perhaps?) To me, she's in a similar league as Mariah Carey...and you know what I think of her already.

That being said, let me get back to the reason for the post.

During "Breakfast" on 5 Live, Nicky said something about how he wondered if other people sharing the 28th of May as their birthday share personalities, characteristics, etc. with Kylie. I said, rather loudly, something like "Good Lord, I hope not!"...immediately thinking that I don't know anybody else born today anyway.

But I DO! Of course I do! It took 2 or 3 minutes to hit me. It's my oldest niece's birthday today -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Melissa -- and I can say, with great authority, that you're nothing like Kylie! And be proud that you aren't, in the humble opinions of your aunt and uncle in England!

And Melissa is a lot younger than Kylie, too.


(Aunt) Janet

3 Comments:

At 28 May, 2008 13:55 , Blogger John Nolan said...

Good grief, and you think *I* don't like certain musical celebs! :)

I'm sure Melissa is already taller than Kylie by the way...

 
At 28 May, 2008 16:31 , Blogger Gavin Lloyd Wilson said...

I think everyone is taller than Kylie. The woman is positively microscopic.

 
At 06 June, 2008 08:10 , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Janet you have Kylie all wrong my friend. You know from my post on the awful Mariah what I think of her, but I am a big fan of Kylie.

Why don't you like her, she's just a national institution over there. She went from a kid on a soap, to a pop princess, has been dumped on by way too mnay men, beat breast cancer and is still so unstarry and ego free.

Give her more time to grow on you, she is no Mariah, trust me on this

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home