Friday 27 June 2008

"Land of No Choices" - Fall of Echoes, 2006

Today is election day in Zimbabwe. Well, it's being called a runoff election. But actually, the folks in Zimbabwe have no choice at all.

Can you imagine arriving at the polls in the States or in Britain to be told that if you don't vote for the party in power, you and/or your family will be killed? Or they'll chop off your hands. Or mutilate you. Or burn down your house?

I've been wanting to write about this all week but am just too angry and upset to find the right words.

I just hope that something happens to change the terrible situation that Zimbabwe has found itself in. And I wish that leaders in neighboring South Africa - primarily Thabo Mbeki - would take the kind of stand this horrid situation deserves. I guess the fact they don't reflects how dangerous Robert Mugabe truly is.

Janet

See Auditory Cortex for my latest musical ramblings.

2 Comments:

At 27 June, 2008 21:49 , Blogger Heather Plett said...

I am heartsick over this whole thing. I have friends in Zimbabwe. The stories they tell are almost too much to bear.

 
At 28 June, 2008 13:37 , Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

You can't even wrap your mind around those conditions.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home