Wednesday 16 July 2008

"48 Horas (48 Hours)" - Mylene, 2003

I heard on this morning's news that public-sector workers in parts of Wales, Northern Ireland, and England have begun a 48-hour strike today, to protest the pay increase proposed by local governments. I wondered (to myself) if Oxford might be affected.

As soon as I got off the park and ride bus in the city centre this morning, I got my answer. I grabbed my camera once I'd gotten nearly to Carfax Tower and took the following photo:



(Click on either photo for a larger version.)

This was taken at around 7:35 in the morning. Cornmarket Street is generally very clean at that hour of the day. Looking at this photo, I realize that I didn't photograph the worst of it - in places, the trash was already overflowing from the bins.

As I continued to walk to the office, I passed the Oxford City Council offices. There were a couple of Unison picketers...



I can hardly imagine how bad this is going to get by Friday morning. Perhaps - if I dare - I'll take a few more shots later today and again tomorrow. Thinking of all of the tourists in town, the trash is likely to become really awful.

Janet

AFTERNOON UPDATE:
I carried the camera in my hand with me as I walked back to the bus this evening. I didn't see much trash...perhaps the merchants along Cornmarket Street did their own cleanup? But the crowds of tourists were so bad that I'm not sure I wouldn't see a trash bin anyway. (Note to my readers: I would suggest not coming to Oxford during June/July/August. Come before or after, when it's not so crowded. And the weather might be just as good anyway.)

Here's what Cornmarket Street looked at 4:15pm today...


4 Comments:

At 16 July, 2008 14:37 , Blogger bronx boy said...

For some reason the photos did not come through this morning.

 
At 16 July, 2008 14:56 , Blogger bronx boy said...

Must have been a computer glitch. I re-logged on and there they were!

 
At 16 July, 2008 15:00 , Blogger Janet said...

Bronx Boy - good! I was just checking to make sure I could see them even when logged out of my account, and I can.

Janet

 
At 16 July, 2008 15:29 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yuk. overflowing trash. bleck. Sorry!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home