Monday 14 July 2008

"I Turned Out the Lights" - John Mars, 1999

I recently wrote here about the two-part episode of "Doctor Who" which was the finale for this most-recent series. And yesterday evening, John discovered that both parts were being re-shown on BBC 1. Of course we watched again!

I have found this interesting review of the series that just ended. I agree with most of what the author has written, although perhaps he's a little tough on the Daleks (suggesting they now give too many warnings before incinerating their victims).

My favorite episode of the season was "Turn Left". Perhaps it's because the idea of time lines - and the repercussions if a time line were to be altered - has always really appealed to me. It's one of my favorite sci-fi themes.

But there's no doubt that my favorite quote from the series has been: "Hey! Who turned out the lights?". It sends a chill down my spine just thinking about it. (But I don't believe that the storyline of that episode quite exceeds my love for the chilling episode called "Blink ", from the previous season. It's right up there with some of the best work Hitchcock ever produced.)

And I can't wait to see Professor River Song again - and I'm sure we will!

It's been a really terrific series this time. But I'm eagerly anticipating what will happen next, as Steven Moffatt takes over from Russell T Davies. Unfortunately, we will have a long wait - until Christmas. Reminds me of when I was a kid...

Janet

2 Comments:

At 14 July, 2008 15:42 , Blogger Gavin Lloyd Wilson said...

You'll have to wait longer than that. Russell T Davies will still be around for the next four specials. Steven Moffatt takes over in 2010.

 
At 14 July, 2008 21:02 , Blogger Janet said...

Oh dear, Gavin...I don't think I can wait that long. I thought Moffatt took over with the Christmas 2008 episode. Oh well!

Thanks for the clarification!

Janet

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home