Friday 4 July 2008

"Almost Independence Day" - Van Morrison, 1972

Happy Independence Day to my American readers!

Why did I pick the Van Morrison song as my title today, rather than one of the more-obvious "Fourth of July" song titles out there? It's because it doesn't really feel like "The 4th" to me, living in Britain. It's almost the 4th of July.

Now John will do his very best to help, because he knows my spirits will be a little low today. I love living in the UK, but days like this make me homesick for America. John has already sent me a Hallmark e-card (which I can't listen to until I get home...). Perhaps even more importantly - since he's a wonderful cook - he's letting me choose our American dinner tonight. What did I select? My mother's meatloaf recipe (not this) and John's own rendition of new-potato potato salad. Yum!

On the Park and Ride bus into Oxford this morning, I had a brainstorm. I went into the Sainsbury's nearest the bus stop. I found 3 boxes of "American style doughnuts" in boxes decorated perfectly for today's American holiday. Although baked in the UK, they aren't bad. The British here in the office will call them jam doughnuts. To me, they are jelly donuts.

So here's my contribution to office happiness here in Oxford today...and my little bit of Independence Day:



Janet

7 Comments:

At 04 July, 2008 13:04 , Blogger John Nolan said...

Happy 4th my love! And I wonder if any British readers will notice your use of the term "brainstorm" to mean 'good idea', whereas we Brits use it as a business buzzword for 'trying to think of something clever', and say "brainwave" to mean good idea.

But anyway, do(ugh)nuts? GREAT idea!!! :)

 
At 04 July, 2008 13:43 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor, us, stuck "over there"...

Happy 4th to you too. I'll sing a rousing chorus of "You're a grand old flag" or "This is my country" or "Yankee doodle dandy" in your honor! And there's LOTS of good fireworks videos on Youtube :-)

 
At 04 July, 2008 13:53 , Blogger bronx boy said...

Try substituting ground turkey for the ground beef. Will send the recipe if you want to try it. Absolutely delicious and maybe better for you.

 
At 04 July, 2008 14:54 , Blogger WEB SHERIFF said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 04 July, 2008 17:16 , Blogger Kris said...

Janet,
I'm sorry you are homesick today, if it helps, I'm so very homesick today too. I saw a sign in the Oxford post office advertising that it was America's Independence Day and that they were offering really great exchange rates on the dollar. I almost stood in line for some dollar bills just to ease my sadness!!
So far that's been the only sign that it's the 4th of July. I could be at a BBQ with my family right now!!!
Wish I had thought about inviting you and John to our American Independence Day Party! We'll try again next year! Anyway, hope you have a great weekend.

 
At 06 July, 2008 19:09 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

My goodness! How many 1000's of calories is that in one photo? A moment on the lips but a lifetime on the hips... as they say! Have a nice day.

 
At 10 July, 2008 17:03 , Blogger Mama in Chile said...

I am so jealous! You donĀ“t get "jam" doughnuts here :(
Hope you had a good 4th of July!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home