Thursday 3 November 2005

"Just One Of Those Things" - Nat King Cole, 1957

I wish I could stop being such a perfectionist.

I had a little "incident" with my beloved little Audi a few weeks ago. I won't bore you with the details...but I hit something stationary...but it was something that shouldn't have been there...but I should have seen it anyway...etc....etc. The damage isn't terrible, but the car will never look quite the same again. And while I have the money to have her fixed, I certainly could have put the funds to better use.

I picked her up from the Audi garage yesterday. The mechanical damage is fixed, at least. But it will take a trip to the body shop, on the other side of Oxford from me, for the cosmetic repairs. Hopefully John and I can manage that before we leave for our wedding in the US in January.

I'm beating myself up over this incident. I know that it's just one of those things that can happen in life. Nobody was hurt...although I could have been, had the speed and angle of the impact been different. But I just can't let this go. It's just stuck in my brain that I've made a stupid mistake. And I'm haunted by it.

Anybody out there have a remedy for my incessant perfectionism? I've always been a bit like this, but I think it's getting worse as I get older. I just can't seem to give myself a break on much of anything anymore.

Janet

1 Comments:

At 08 November, 2005 00:38 , Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Lordy, you're blogging faster than I can keep up with you!

No remedy here, but perhaps comfort in The Incessant Perfectionism Sisterhood?

I recently got a (screaming and laughing) scolding from my best friend when I told her that I'm only comfortable when my house is Yoram-clean.

Yoram is my boss, and when I want to get the place tidied up, I pretend he's coming over. She said, "when does Yoram come over?" The answer: He never has; he doesn't even know where I live. And still I wonder "what if he DOES come over?"

Well, said friend encouraged me to let the housework go a bit, which of course, I'd already done. My house is NEVER Yoram-clean.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home