Friday 4 November 2005

"Turn, Turn, Turn" - Byrds, 1966

In Britain, if somebody asks you to "Give me (or us) a twirl.", you wouldn't necessarily know what that request means.

They might be asking you to do a quick runway-type turn, as you might do to show off new clothes. John tells me that Bruce Forsythe used that expression a lot on British TV, and it's certainly something I've heard often since moving here. I like it a lot.

OR...

They might be asking for chocolate...for a Cadbury Twirl. Twirls are one of John's favorites, and he's an even more avid chocoholic than I am...maybe even as fond of chocolate as my friend Krista is! So his opinion on chocolate holds a lot of weight with me. (No pun intended...with the word "weight"...by the way!)

I've always spelled the syndrome as chocoholic, as many US-based websites do. However, I've noticed that other people spell the word as chocAholic...take a look at this "Daily Mail" quiz, for example.

I just visited Cadbury's website. I was surprised to do a search for the word "Twirl" on that site and get nothing back in return. However, it's worth a visit anyway, especially for the repository of old TV ads you'll find there.

So whatever type of twirl strikes your fancy this weekend, have at least one, OK?

Janet

1 Comments:

At 04 November, 2005 13:25 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milk or Dark? I vote for dark chocolate.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home