Friday 12 May 2006

"Contrasts" - Jimmy Dorsey, 1940

I drove to the park & ride this morning, taking the shuttle bus the rest of the way into the Oxford city centre. I could have then walked the direct route to the office. But since I was very early and the weather is glorious here, I took the long route instead -- Broad Street to Turl Street to Alfred Street to Blue Boar Street and then south down St Aldates to the office.

It's an amazing walk, along some narrow little cobblestone streets. I wish I could film it and post it here for all of Lord Celery's readers to share with me. I strolled by Exeter College -- Jesus College -- Brasenose College -- Lincoln College -- Pembroke College -- Christ Church...all within that 20-minute walk!

On a lanyard around my neck, I was wearing the little black iPod Nano that John bought me for Christmas last year. It's a joy. It's small and lightweight. It's a breeze to wear while I'm walking, and it keeps me entertained.

But the "contrast" I refer to with today's choice of song title has to do with what I was listening to as I strolled. I recently discovered that I can subscribe to the podcast of the audio of PBS' weekly television program "Washington Week in Review". So I was listening to Gwen Ifill and her guest reporters as I walked. I was catching up on American news.

It could hardly have been a greater contrast.

Have a good weekend, everybody!

Janet

2 Comments:

At 12 May, 2006 14:21 , Blogger Heather Plett said...

Ooohhhh - you make me want to come back to England! I LOVED walking in London, but sadly, I've only been there once.

 
At 21 May, 2006 06:17 , Blogger Mr. Greg said...

Hello Janet. Check out the Swing is in the Air podcast: www.radiojazz.ca. You can subcribe to it through iTunes as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home