Monday 1 May 2006

"New York State of Mind" (reprise) - Billy Joel, 1975

Sorry for using a song title twice! (Or naybe I'm the only one who noticed...???)

This is a very important birthday for an American icon. Today's the 75th birthday of the Empire State Building in New York City!

The ESB played an important part in John's and my romance, so it's a very special place for us. We are hoping to get back there some time this year...we'll see whether or not that will be possible.

I had thought about coming up with a list of factoids about the ESB to write about -- films made there, history of the building, etc., etc. But better to just steer you to the official Empire State Building web site, which is linked here.

Some of you know that I lived in New York City from 1986 to 1993. While there, I developed a real love for "The City" and its fabulous architecture. Although the ESB is in my top three of favorite NYC buildings, I have to admit that it didn't manage to take one of the two spots. My personal #2 is the wedge-shaped Flatiron Building on 23rd Street, and my #1 is the fabulous Chrysler Building on 42nd Street. I had a view of the top of the Chrysler from my East 44th Street high-rise apartment. (Does anybody besides me remember that fantastic "Saturday Night Live" sketch which featured the top of the Chrysler Building blasting off into space like a rocket?)

Happy Birthday to you, Empire State Building...and happiness to all who set foot inside you today!

Janet

1 Comments:

At 02 May, 2006 13:22 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure do remember the view - you, me and Mac enjoying it. The good old days! Maybe we can hook up with you if you do get to NYC.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home