Monday 5 June 2006

"Stylish" - Marlowe, 2006

One of the comments I have received on yesterday's Lord Celery item has led to today's post...I refer you to the comment from my friend Bronx Boy.

Oh yes, Bronx Boy, the Chrysler Building does indeed remain my favorite building in New York City. No doubt about it. One of my fondest memories of my 7+ years in Manhattan is the view I had of the Chrysler Building from my apartment. From this 1987 photo of me holding Mac, while out on our 32nd-floor balcony, you can see what a terrific view of the top of the Chrysler I had...



A lot of photographers used to go down to the end of my former block -- to the northeast corner of East 44th Street and 3rd Avenue -- because from there you can get one of the more complete views of the Chrysler Building. At least you could when I was living there.

But it was the view at twilight which was the best of all. When the top of the building was illuminated in front of the navy-blue Manhattan sky, it was undoubtedly one of the most beautiful man-made sites in the world.

I've found a nice photo, in the public domain, to illustrate what I mean...



Yes, Bronx Boy, the Chrysler Building will always be my favorite New York City icon. I didn't mention it yesterday simply because, unlike the Empire State Building (with its amazing observation platform), about as far into the Chrysler Building that John and I got this week back in 1996 was...



;)

Janet

2 Comments:

At 05 June, 2006 14:36 , Blogger Heather Plett said...

Oooo I'm jealous! What a VIEW you had!

 
At 06 June, 2006 13:45 , Blogger Janet said...

Heather, it was truly amazing...the top of the Chrysler Building to my right (as I stood on the balcony), and the UN property and the East River to my left. And out the kitchen window, I could see the Queensboro Bridge and the East River. I have so many photos, taken through the years.

Janet

(lordcelery.blogspot.com)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home