Wednesday 4 July 2007

"Declaration of Independence" - Conflict, 2007

What a terrific Independence Day gift to BBC reporter Alan Johnston! After over 100 days in captivity, he was released by his "Army of Islam" captors in the early hours of this morning! I am so delighted to be able to remove my little Alan Johnston banner from Lord Celery this evening!

Meanwhile, I've worked today here in London. None of my students today even realized that it's an important holiday in the US. I've gotten a Hallmark e-card from John, an e-mail from my friends Carole & Bill, and a hand-delivered greeting card back at home from somebody (John wants me to open it when I get home tomorrow evening, so I don't know yet who it's from). Of course, those have been very much appreciated. But it still doesn't feel like "The Fourth" to me.

Actually, here's the closest that I've gotten to my home country today...


I discovered America Street this evening, a few blocks behind my Southwark-area hotel!

Happy Fourth of July to all of my American friends and family!
Janet

2 Comments:

At 05 July, 2007 13:33 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a great day but I lament the fact that so few displayed the flag. Too many take their freedoms for granted.

 
At 05 July, 2007 21:08 , Blogger Wendy said...

Thunderstorms and nearby tornado made fireworks get canceled here... :(
But otherwise? A really nice day with family. Happy Independence Day to you...

(And Bronx Boy - we have a flag up!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home