Tuesday 5 August 2008

"That's Not My Name" - Ting Tings, 2008

I thought I'd continue yesterday's tropical storm/hurricane theme again today. After all, I'm still glued to the National Hurricane Center's website for news of TS Edouard.

John was asking me questions about storm names last night. Most I could answer, but I wasn't entirely sure I could explain the "retirement" procedure for some of the storm names. So I found this interesting page on the NHC's site this morning, and I thought I'd share it with Lord Celery readers. Those of you who don't live along the coasts of the US probably don't know about this.

And you can see lists of the names of upcoming storms for 2008 through 2013. There's also an interesting history of naming hurricanes on the same website.

By the way, Janet was retired back in 1955. (I found a page, with photos, about the damage she did to one of the towns in her path - in Belize.) And although I don't see John on either the retired or the active lists, his Hispanic alter-ego Juan was retired in 2003.

Janet

3 Comments:

At 06 August, 2008 02:01 , Blogger Expat mum said...

Ah US weather. For the first time in the 17 years I've lived in Chicago, a tornado actually got close enough for me to get the little one out of bed (top floor) and bring him down to the basement. The sirens were blaring and every TV station was urging us to get into a safe place. Usually we get "watches" and no one takes much notice, but last night it was a full blown "warning" moving at 50mph. Fortunately (for us) it headed off down to Indiana just before it got to Chicago, but caused quite a mess there.

 
At 07 August, 2008 13:02 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Ting Ting song--my daughter and I cringe whenever it comes on the radio, which seems to be every time we get in the car! We both can't stand it, but we get a big laugh over how many times it's played.

I understand they're up for a MTV award in the British music category. Maybe they'll be inflicted on US audiences now.

 
At 07 August, 2008 13:11 , Blogger Janet said...

Expatmum: Tornadoes are one of the things I DON'T miss about living in America. They are terrifying things, aren't they - and so unpredictable.

Kathy: You'd better keep well away from my music blog - Auditory Cortex - then. I've just written about them again today, and it had to do with their exposure to US music listeners. Sorry!

Janet

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home