Monday 6 October 2008

"The Fifty States Song" - Eddy J, 2002

Hearing about Stephen Fry's visit to all 50 of the states of the US - and the subsequent book and TV programme - I began thinking about how many of the states I have visited. I suspect it's rare to find even an American who has actually been to all 50, but I'd be delighted to hear that some of you actually have!

So I downloaded an alphabetical list of all of the states over the weekend and began the counting process. Out of the total of 50, I was delighted to discover that there are only 14 that I've never been to at all. Here's that list (in alphabetical order):

Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

More incredibly, here's the list of the states that I have been to:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia. (Hopefully, that list totals 36 states.)

Of those in the paragraph just above, I have lived in - in chronological order - Oklahoma, Illinois, Texas and New York (followed by Texas again - but even as huge as Texas is, I can't count it twice!). And although I've never actually lived there, John and I have a great fondness for the state of New Mexico - that's where we got married. in 2006!

It's an interesting exercise. Anybody want to join me?

And by the way, Fry's book is on the way to us (or so says Amazon UK), and we can't wait for the TV programme!


Janet

9 Comments:

At 06 October, 2008 12:36 , Blogger Power Up Love said...

I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico #48. State bird the Roadrunner. Today and the rest of the week we have hot air ballons from all around the world. You can watch it live by visiting www.kob.com that's the local TV station.

 
At 06 October, 2008 13:23 , Blogger bronx boy said...

43 out of 50 for me. I lived in NY, NJ, TX, OK and AK.

 
At 06 October, 2008 13:24 , Blogger Janet said...

Bronx Boy, which 7 are you missing?

43 - that's impressive!!!!

Janet

 
At 06 October, 2008 16:39 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on 3. New York, Texas and New Mexico :) 47 to go!

But I have been to all but one of the English counties - apart from Norfolk.

 
At 06 October, 2008 16:52 , Blogger A Novelist said...

I've only lived in 2 states... Washington & New York.

I've only been to 22 though... :(

 
At 07 October, 2008 02:01 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you not know the "fifty nifty" song that teaches you the states in alphabetical order?

I've only lived in Minnesota, Michigan, Virginia, Iowa but have only not been to Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Texas, Utah, Wyoming.

Not bad although I feel like being American and not having been to Texas is somehow criminal...

 
At 07 October, 2008 23:56 , Blogger Jannie Funster said...

And Obama's been to 57!

 
At 09 October, 2008 07:07 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janet - this Brit can better you! 43 total. Strangely, my missing 7 are all among your absentees - HI, IA, NE, ND, SD, WI & WY.

 
At 11 October, 2008 09:38 , Blogger Kris said...

Janet that is an imressive list of states you've been to. I've only been to about 20!
I have always wanted to visit North and South Carolina and Texas :) My brother has just moved to San Antonio so now I may just get to visit soon!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home