Tuesday 24 February 2009

"Bass and Tremble" - Dipsomaniacs, 1998

I have vivid memories of watching the "G.E. College Bowl" on television, beginning when I was a youngster living in Tulsa. (That was back when the world was in black & white, by the way.) I admired the ultra-smart college students; and I tried, valiantly, to correctly answer every question that I could.

I always thought it was a terrific format. The program was educational and entertaining at the same time.

When I moved to the UK, I was delighted to find out that the format continues with Britain's "University Challenge". John and I have a great time watching each week, as we compete against the brainy university students. And being much brainier than I am, John always wins our living room competitions!

The final of this year's series was last night. The winners were Corpus Christi College, Oxford, which is part of Oxford University. And the big winner was the almost-one-woman-team, Gail Trimble! (What I have linked to her name, by the way, is her undergrad profile from an Oxford University website.)

It was touch-and-go who would win last night's final. I found myself barely able to watch at times. John was cheering and bouncing on the couch just as he might when watching a sporting event on TV. (That's a good sign that his neck is improving, too, don't you think?)

Finally, Trimble/Corpus Christi took off and beat the University of Manchester by a large margin! In the meantime, despite some mean-spirited detractors, Ms. Trimble has become a celeb on her own. It's about time the public showed some admiration for someone for reasons other than an appearance on a reality TV show.

Janet

PS A message to my friends in New Orleans and Mobile - enjoy Fat Tuesday for me, too, please!

1 Comments:

At 24 February, 2009 22:43 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoorah for an intelligent female making the news instead of a scantily clad and inebriated one... sorry I don't have a telly and couldn't watch it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home