Thursday, 23 June 2011

"Suddenly" - Billy Ocean, 1989

Our bird feeders have been very popular places lately, and John and I really enjoy watching the birds. I was watching the feeder just outside our kitchen window this afternoon, especially enjoying the baby sparrows and baby great tits being fed and watched over by their doting parents.

Not long after I snapped this photo, something awful happened. A sparrowhawk swooped into the hedge, grabbed one of the baby sparrows, and flew off with it. Before leaving the garden, the hawk sat on top of the roof of our bird table with the struggling sparrow in his/her talons. It glared at me, and then flew off with the helpless little bird.

I was stunned. OK. I know this happens, but I'd never actually seen it myself. And as you might imagine, there have been no birds in our back garden since...not even when I refilled seed feeders early this evening.

Now, I know the birds will return. But it has still been very unsettling.

I guess it's just like our lives. We're rocking along, having fun, thinking everything is all right. And suddenly, something awful happens.

It's nature, reminding us that we're not in charge. No matter how much we think we're in control of our lives, we aren't.

Janet

14 Comments:

At 11 July, 2011 05:26 , Anonymous Electric Underfloor Heating UK said...

Off course this is nature and no body can do anything for it, you think that everything is going very well but suddenly some awful problems come and change your whole life this is life.
Thank you for sharing with us.

 
At 03 November, 2011 03:33 , Anonymous shopfitter Brisbane said...

There’s always a lot of different challenges everyday. You’ll just have to figure your way out. thanks for sharing.

 
At 03 February, 2012 03:37 , Blogger kevin21 said...

Polo Hoodies For Men

Polo Shirts

Polo Shirts For Men

Cheap Ralph Lauren

Polo Dresses For Women

Polo Hoodies For Women

Polo Hats

Cheap Polo Ralph Lauren

Ralph Lauren Shirts For Men

Cheap Polo Ralph Lauren Shirts

Polo

Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts On Sale

Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts

Polos

Polo Sweaters For Men

Polo Shirt

 
At 07 February, 2012 07:27 , Blogger kevin said...

Gray Jacket

Moncler Jackets Sale

Coat Women Ziper

 
At 10 February, 2012 08:15 , Anonymous Apartments in Barcelona said...

Some of these are pretty cool. If would respect the list more if it weren’t so mac centric however. Nice list either way…

 
At 18 February, 2012 07:34 , Blogger kevin21 said...

Nike High Heels

Monster High Celebrities

Jordan Heels

Nike Dunk Sb High Heels Black And Pink

High Heel

 
At 29 February, 2012 14:09 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Janet,
Michael here....hope you're well...please send me an email or phone no.?

michael@himmel.bz

Will be in Oxford in April.

 
At 09 March, 2012 02:46 , Blogger reebok21 said...

reebok easytone runtone

cheap zigtech shoes

reebok men basketball shoes

blue reebok zigtech

 
At 10 April, 2012 10:37 , Blogger Malte Zeeck said...

Hello Janet!

My name is Malte Zeeck, and I am with InterNations.org. I really enjoyed reading your fantastic blog! I think expats in Great Britian and around the world could really gain some great insights [and have a few good laughs] on this page. The quality of the blog in general is very convincing, which is why I would love to feature you and your writing on the Recommended Blog on Great Britian section on InterNations.org
Not only do we feature and link to your blog prominently; we also would like to hear from you directly in our questionnaire! We have also designed a link badge for your blog.

If you are interested, please feel free to contact me via email: maltezeeck@internations.org

Best,
Malte Zeeck

 
At 17 May, 2012 09:40 , Anonymous Barcelona Apartamentos said...

You raise a lot of questions in my head; you wrote an excellent post, but this post is also mind provoking, and I will have to think about it a bit more; I will return soon.

 
At 16 July, 2012 09:24 , Anonymous pisos barcelona said...

There are always a lot of different challenges every day. You’ll just have to figure your way out. Thanks for sharing. I think your readers may appreciate this related blog.

 
At 07 August, 2012 08:51 , Anonymous Apartments in Barcelona said...

It took me time to read all the tips, but I clearly loved the post. It proved to be very helpful to me and I’m certain to all of the commenters here!

 
At 18 January, 2013 03:32 , Anonymous Vinnie said...

It is as natural to be upset as it was for that sparrowhawk to grab that little sparrow. I understand the feeling, In NatGeo shows it breaks heart when a little innocent being is swallowed by a stronger hunger.

 
At 31 May, 2014 17:10 , Anonymous ملابس شباب said...

ملابس شباب
ملابس كاجوال
ملابس شباب
ملابس كاجول
ملابس الرجال
ملابس رجال

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home