Tuesday 12 July 2005

"Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin, 1959

I should have written about this last Saturday the 9th, but I was too mentally and physically exhausted from last week's events in London to do it without crying too much. But I've just learned of the unexpected death of a beloved dog belonging to a colleague of mine here in the UK. I feel so terrible for the loss she and her husband are experiencing. Now I feel I can -- and should -- write this piece.

On the 9th of July, just 4 years ago, I had to have my 16-year-old West Highland White Terrier, Mac, put to sleep. He'd been my roommate since Easter weekend of 1985, when he was only 8 weeks old. He went through all of the ups and downs of my life with me. Together, we moved from Houston to a high-rise apartment in New York City and then back to Houston again. He was a grand little fellow. I still miss him like crazy.

I have preserved a web site for Mac that I assembled for fun a long time ago, and you can find it
RIGHT HERE. (Be sure to click on the link at the bottom of the first page, which will take you to Page 2!) I've maintained the website by popular request and also as a tribute to Mac. It keeps him alive, in a way. And it's amazing how much e-mail I still get from the site, from people who are seeking information about Westies. They write me really wonderful notes about the photos and commentary on Mac's pages!

To help in that regard, if you are interested, you can get some great information on West Highland White Terriers from the following websites:

The West Highland White Terrier Club of America

The West Highland White Terrier Club of England

Interesting and entertaining article about Westies from "Dog & Kennel" magazine

Someday, John and I will have a Westie...or maybe two...once we're together full time and more settled.

One of my all-time favorite sayings about Westies came from the announcer for the Westminster Kennel Club dog show in New York City. He used to say, "When you're in a room with a Westie, you will be reminded of your good fortune at regular intervals." That sums it up!

Mac, ol' boy, you are STILL being missed... just as my colleague's dog is being missed terribly today.


Janet

2 Comments:

At 12 July, 2005 13:42 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have two Westies as neighbors (close but not next door) and Silvia and I are reminded of Mac and you each time we go by "their" house.

 
At 13 July, 2005 19:06 , Blogger Janet said...

Thanks, Chris...I'm glad you still remember him also! Yes, I'll bet it IS the Westies' house!!!!

Janet

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home