Tuesday 6 June 2006

"Sympathy For The Devil" - Rolling Stones, 1968

Today is "06/06/06".... or 666. It's 666 today whether you write your dates in the US or in the UK numerical format. I won't bother to give you links to the myriad of sites on the web dealing with the topic. You can find them yourself, if you'd care to do so.

Last night, as I pondered today's date, I found myself wondering where the "evil" connection to the number sequence comes from. If I've ever known, I've forgotten. On BBC Five Live this morning, they said it came from the Book of Revelation in the Bible. Now, I'm not a biblical expert, but I just don't recall hearing that one before...something about the "mark of the beast"?

(Hey...I've just thought of something. For those of you who, like me, live in the UK, you might have joined us in watching the first of a two-part "Doctor Who" last Saturday night. It was very scary! Given the subject matter, I'll bet it's not a coincidence that those two episodes straddle today's "666" date!)

I mentioned The Archive apartment building in the West Village of New York City in my Lord Celery item a few days ago. My brother and his family used to live there. We always thought it was a bit creepy that the building's address is "666 Greenwich Street". But New Yorkers aren't particularly superstitious, so I strongly suspect that residents of The Archive generally just laugh off their quirky street address.

Today also happens to be the birthday of my friend Cindy. Don't worry, Cindy, you don't scare me one little bit! I'm not especially superstitious either...and I know you don't have an evil bone in your entire body! ;) Happy Birthday!

Janet

1 Comments:

At 07 June, 2006 14:39 , Blogger Heather Plett said...

Well, the world didn't come to an end, as some predicted, so I guess we're safe until 3006. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home