Tuesday 18 July 2006

"Grease"/"Fire" - Frankie Valli/Ohio Players, 1978/1975

Last night, John and I were sorta watching an American TV program, new to us in the UK, called "Big Love". I use the phrase sorta watching because we were half asleep, with the television's sleep timer turned on.

In my semi-conscious state, I was listening to some of the show's dialogue...but admittedly, I was not watching at all. But what I gather had happened was that a teenaged girl had appeared, with a friend (another teenaged girl), at her family's dinner table. They had obviously never met the friend before, and it sounded as if the two girls were workmates. Father or Mother (can't remember which) asked them something like, "We didn't expect you to be home. Why aren't you at work?"

Daughter answered, "We got out of work early."

Friend continued with the words, "Grease fire."

I don't know exactly why, but this dialogue just tickled me. I started laughing. I kept laughing. John asked me what I was laughing about. I told him. He didn't chuckle. He didn't get it. "Grease fire?", he asked. "What does that mean, then?" I explained that I would imagine the girls worked in a KFC, or McDonald's, or some other fast-food joint, and the frying oil had caught fire.

He responded with something like, "Oh...."

I continued to laugh. I don't know why it struck me as funny. I guess I never thought of the phrase "grease fire" as being an excuse for not being at work. And it was uttered so matter-of-factly.

John says that from now on, when I need cheering up, he'll just mention "grease fire" to get me to laugh. It will probably work, too!

Sorry, everybody. I suspect this is one of those "you had to be there" Lord Celery. entries. But that's the kind of stuff my brain often does!

;-)

Janet

11 Comments:

At 18 July, 2006 11:24 , Blogger andrea said...

They do work at a fast food place! I watch that show as well, it is pretty good. And don't worry, we all have phrases like that one that make us laugh for no apparent reason - those are the best kind!

 
At 18 July, 2006 14:31 , Blogger Heather Plett said...

With our ten year old, pre-pubescent daughter, we just have to say the word "breasts" and she bursts out laughing. :-)

 
At 18 July, 2006 14:45 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too much tv??

 
At 18 July, 2006 15:29 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janet thanks for you lovely post on my blog. I have enjoyed reading yours as well. I am curious to hear how you like the rest of the season of Big Love.

 
At 18 July, 2006 16:15 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

in Germany we say: "like an oiled flash of lightning" ;-)))

 
At 18 July, 2006 20:10 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

We are often "half asleep" while watching something on the TV. I am glad to know that we are not the only ones who have taken up this practice and that it’s a "normal" thing when you get passed 50! Sometimes we wake up at the end of a programme only to find that we have missed it all.

Ah well, that's life. AND Janet; >>>>> GREASE FIRE.

 
At 18 July, 2006 22:17 , Blogger Monica said...

Grease fire cracked me up too, mostly because of the completely nonchalant way she said it.

 
At 19 July, 2006 04:13 , Blogger Andrew said...

I occasionally find myself relating some side-splitting event to a sea of blank faces and lamely tailing off "well, you had to be there". Well, sometimes you do!

 
At 19 July, 2006 19:35 , Blogger Buffy said...

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Or...something like that.

:)

 
At 20 July, 2006 09:58 , Blogger Janet said...

I'm STUNNED by the number of comments to this one -- thanks, everybody! I think that's a new record for Lord Celery.

I'm glad that others watch TV half asleep and have wacky senses of humor. Yes, Bronx Boy, it probably IS due to too much TV. And yes, Milky Bar Kid, I got yet another laugh from just reading "grease fire"!

Thanks, everybody!

Janet

 
At 20 July, 2006 13:50 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

And now Janet you have added a photo of some "chips" or fries to your Blog. I am so tempted to go and make some but I better not. I'm big enough as it is.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home