Monday 10 July 2006

"Meaning of the Word" - Laura Branigan, 1987

I don't often spotlight the blogs of others. But today I'm going to.

As regular Lord Celery readers have noticed, I have various links down the right-hand side of the main blog page. I like to introduce others to websites and blogs that I find interesting and/or entertaining and/or useful.

I decided this weekend to put together a new list of the blogs of other American expats. And while in the process of searching the directory at Expat-Blog for any new American listings, I found Separated By A Common Language. This is a blog written by an American woman who is Senior Lecturer in Linguistics at a university in England, and her entries deal with the differences between British and American "English".

What an interesting topic -- one with which John and I have been fascinated nearly every single day since we met in 1995 -- and I thought I would share this "find" with Lord Celery readers!

Take look, when you get the chance!

Janet

6 Comments:

At 10 July, 2006 13:37 , Blogger lynneguist said...

I take it that you have a song for every blog entry? My favo(u)rite language-related one is "Language is a Virus" by Laurie Anderson. (Based on a William S. Burroughs quotation: "Language is a virus from outer space." I'm sure a lot of Britons think that American English is a virus from the outer reaches!

Cheers for the mention!

 
At 10 July, 2006 13:38 , Blogger lynneguist said...

I've noticed that I never remember to close my parentheses (UK brackets when I leave a comment! And I call myself a pedant!

 
At 10 July, 2006 14:49 , Blogger Janet said...

"Lynneguist"...

That's a great song title -- one I didn't know about. I'll file that away for a future Lord Celery entry...thanks!

Janet

 
At 11 July, 2006 18:25 , Blogger LondonWriting said...

Hi!

You came by my blog earlier (um, much earlier) and I thought I'd say hello on your blog. I very much enjoyed reading your thoughts (and lynneguist's site is also a favo(u)rite!)

LondonWriting

 
At 12 July, 2006 17:42 , Blogger Andrew said...

OK, I can see myself wasting a lot of time on that site.

 
At 13 July, 2006 12:40 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that topic fascinates me too! I'll head over there soon...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home