Thursday 29 June 2006

"Grow Your Garden" - Steve Kowalczyk, 1995

I didn't get to see my friend Cindy yesterday. So first thing this morning, on the way to our Stagecoach bus into Oxford, she gave me two wonderful birthday presents.

One is a "Allium Sphaerocephalon" plant. Here's what its flowers look like:



I know almost nothing about Allium plants but have admired them ever since I moved to England 3-1/2 years ago. After doing a little research as I eat my lunch, it seems that this particular variety is usually called "Ornamental Onions" (or sometimes even "Ornamental Drumstick Onions") in the US. However, here in the UK, apparently it's more commonly known as "Round-Headed Leek". The blooms start out, in the early summer, completely green. But by late-summer, they turn the "claret" color shown in the photo.

Cool, huh?

Cindy's other present is a beautifully-illustrated book about trees and shrubs. It's a perfect gift for me, as there are so many wonderful plants and trees over here that I know nothing about..and want to learn so much about!

Those two thoughtful gifts have another interesting connection, too, besides the fact that my friend gave them both to me this morning. In the process of looking up information about the Allium plant, I have bumped into a website/blog called Zanthan Gardens. Zanthan Gardens is a fascinating, very personal site about someone's garden in Austin, Texas. Now, Austin -- and even more specifically the nearby Texas Hill Country -- will always hold a piece of my heart. I bookmarked it immediately as a site to visit again, when I have more time.

And then I noticed a very interesting blog entry within the Zanthan Gardens site. It was called "Alien Landscape". I was intrigued. And if you'll follow the link, you'll also see what I found. What an interesting coincidence to read the comments from an American gardener taking a look at "spring" in England, with its mysterious flowers and trees!

I love these coincidental (or not???) connections, don't you?

Janet

1 Comments:

At 29 June, 2006 22:24 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

That's really amazing. I was at a famous garden (Pitmedden) today and saw these flowers growing there and wondered what they were. Now I know. Thanks Janet.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home