Friday 7 July 2006

"A Time To Grieve" - Karen England, 2000

One year ago today, London's transport system was rocked by four terrorist bombs. John and I had each used commuter trains and the Underground system on the 7th of July 2005 (I was teaching in London that day), but thank God both of us were spared any more than just inconvenience.

Today, Londoners -- and others all over Britain -- took time to remember the 52 who died on this date last year.
Here's a link to coverage on the BBC's website.

My teaching stint in London this week ended yesterday, and John is no longer working in Central London. I must admit I was happy that neither of us were there today. It felt a bit safer here in the English countryside.

I took a phone photo yesterday at London's Farringdon train station, as I waited to change trains. I'll post it here, to honor those who work day in and day out to transport individuals into, out of, and all around the London metropolitan area...and to honor the memories of 52 innocent people who died one year ago today only because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.


(Click on the image for a larger version.)

Janet

3 Comments:

At 08 July, 2006 16:46 , Blogger Andrew said...

My company has an office in Bussum, near Amsterdam. Of 11 employees, 8 different (European) countries are represented. The World Cup was...interesting for them all. I'm looking forward to learning who shows up for work on Monday.

 
At 08 July, 2006 19:29 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Janet,, nice photos. Thanks for stopping by What Do I Know? I love the English countryside too!

 
At 09 July, 2006 15:27 , Blogger Heather said...

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the comment on my blog :) Wimbledon was certainly an experience!!

It's always nice to hear from other expats!

Heather

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home