Tuesday 27 February 2007

"Give A Little Bit" - Supertramp, 1977


It seems that each time I'm getting a step closer to more secure residency in the UK -- and perhaps even eventual dual US/UK citzenship -- somebody comes up with another hurdle.

As I may have written about earlier, last year the requirement for residency time in the UK before applying for "Indefinite Leave to Remain" increased from 4 years to 5...about 8 months before I hit my own 4-year anniversary here. So now I wait for December of this year to be able to apply.

Now Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown (and pretender to the throne once Blair resigns as Prime Minister some time this year), in what appears to be an effort to make sure he's not forgotten by the press, has come up with a suggestion for yet another requirement for "migrants" before they can obtain UK citizenship. He thinks we should have to do some sort of community service first. This isn't a done-deal yet...only a suggestion from Gordon.

Maybe I'm just being a little grumpy this afternoon, but this idea doesn't exactly thrill me. I guess I have this image of myself in bright yellow overalls, spearing litter along the side of the M25...

Janet

Listening to: Harry Connick, Jr. - "Oh, My NOLA"

1 Comments:

At 28 February, 2007 22:44 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

OK Grumpy, it's not quite you, I admit! But maybe you could do your community service by taking good photos of all those silly people who use their mobile phones while driving and pass them to the powers that be. I am sure that Gordon would let you stay in the UK after that. Ha, Ha. Have a nice day. Now cheer up.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home