Monday 31 March 2008

"Shame, Shame, Shame" - Shirley and Company, 1975

I've never been a massive fan of "the press". But I also believe, deep in my soul, that freedom of the press is an essential part of a civilized society.

This morning, on BBC Radio 5's Breakfast program, two of their major stories had to be covered remotely; in both cases, BBC reporters were not allowed on the scene.

The first instance wasn't that surprising. It was coverage of Zimbabwe's presidential election. BBC reporters are banned from Zimbabwe. So the BBC must tell Zimbabwe's story from South Africa.

But the second "banning" was quite a surprise.

The BBC's reporter covering the chaos surrounding the brand new Terminal 5 at London's Heathrow Airport told listeners that she was reporting this morning from one of the nearby airport hotels...as BBC reporters were not allowed in the terminal.

I assume that's a temporary situation. But I still find it disturbing...

Janet

1 Comments:

At 31 March, 2008 17:58 , Blogger bronx boy said...

I am curious as to why specifically they were barred. Let us know if you find out.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home