Wednesday 2 April 2008

"Daddy's Little Girl" - Dr. Hook, 1995

For a long time, I've thought about writing a blog post about my father. Today's a good day to do so, as it would have been his 88th birthday.

My father Glenn died in 1987 of emphysema and congestive heart failure...from too many Camels over many, many years. I miss him every single day. I was always a daddy's girl and proud of it.

So much of the person I am today is because of him. He's the reason that I'm a "geek girl". It's why I'm so passionate about music. It's why I'm, as they say in the UK, a "petrol head". It's why I love science and history. And it's why I ended up in the oil business (much as I fought it for a long time).

Only once in my life do I remember my father ever saying that there was something I couldn't do because I was a girl. That support had a profound effect on me.

I don't have a scanned photo of him. So what's posted at the top of this page is a favorite photo of Daddy when he was in the US Army Air Corps around the end of World War II -- or, to be more specific, it's a digital photo of that original framed photo. It's not great but hopefully better than nothing. (You can click on the image itself to see a larger version.)

I have two major regrets about his life. One is that my father died before the personal computer age. He would have had a terrific time using the internet and e-mail communications! And the other is that he and John never met. They would have been such great friends.

RIP, Daddy! I hope you'd be proud of how my life has turned out the past 21 years, since you died.

Janet

5 Comments:

At 02 April, 2008 21:39 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

He'd have been dead proud of you Janet. It's not a case of "Daddy's Little Girl" but probably a case of "Little Daughter's Daddy".

He must still smiling at the thought of you :)

 
At 03 April, 2008 08:22 , Blogger Janet said...

What a VERY nice thing to write, bro-in-law...thanks!

Janet

 
At 03 April, 2008 11:59 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

Janet, thank you for sharing this with us. You have never written about your Dad before, that I can remember. But now that you have it would be nice to find out more about him. And yes, my Dad would have loved this new WWW world we live in today too.

 
At 03 April, 2008 18:26 , Blogger bronx boy said...

I saw the resemblance immediately.

 
At 05 April, 2008 04:48 , Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

This is a special post; sounds like your father was a special guy.

Ok. I have to ask. What was the ONE thing you couldn't do because you were a girl?!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home