Friday 18 April 2008

"Poor Choice of Words" - Blue Diamond Shrine, 2002

Sometimes I'm amazed at the lack of sensitivity of the press...although, to be fair, maybe I read too much into things.

I glanced at the Yahoo News headlines when I got into work this morning. Here's one of them...

"After intimate meeting, Pope turns to global audience "

Given the nature of that meeting -- and of the dreadful history of abusive priests within the Catholic Church in the US -- I think the use of the term "intimate" meeting is showing a distinct lack of common sense.

...or am I overreacting here?

Janet

3 Comments:

At 18 April, 2008 13:34 , Blogger bronx boy said...

I think a bit of over reaction. However, "individual meetings" might have been a better choice of words.

 
At 22 April, 2008 23:27 , Blogger Kris said...

Off the subject of this post, but I would love to do lunch when you are back from Holiday. Just send me an email when you are back: kristyjackson (at) gmail.com

Take care!

 
At 02 May, 2008 23:20 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are alot of good priests out there too so it is really sad that everyone is so suspicious of all of them. It taints those that spend all their lives trying to do good. Intimate can mean hint, can mean close, can mean personal. In depth, one-to-one, close, intense would have been better but it is unfair that a word chosen by the press should have the power to influence people for or against a group of people, in this case priest. Unfortunately their use of emotive words in the newspapers, does this daily.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home