Thursday 3 April 2008

"Abracadabra" - Steve Miller Band, 1982

When I run training courses and receive business cards from students, I often end up putting the cards into the folder with my course notes. That means that often I get one of those "Oh yeah...that's right...he/she was in the course the last time I taught it!" moments when I reopen those folders.

That very thing happened this morning. I'll be running a basic options course in London as part of the 4 days of teaching there next week. And in the folder with my options class notes was the business card of a young South African man who worked for the company providing the projection equipment for the course I ran in Cape Town last year. That's not especially interesting, in itself. However, the reason I'm telling this story is what I've just noticed on his business card.

Along the bottom of the card is a list of services provided by his employer, Inhouse Venue Technical Management. The first three weren't unusual. But take a look at the fourth item -- and you'll probably have to click on the image itself to get a large enough version to read it.



Magic? Card tricks? Illusions? Like it's magic if their equipment works? Like it's magic if their employees show up when and where they are supposed to be? Or maybe they have the ability to make unruly students disappear in a puff of smoke...or help lecturers saw them in half without causing any permanent damage, thereby entertaining the rest of the class.

Or perhaps my high school buddy Scott is moonlighting in Cape Town these days?

Well, it made me laugh anyway!

Janet

2 Comments:

At 03 April, 2008 15:53 , Blogger Expat mum said...

With a bit of luck it'll be the puff of smoke that makes clever dick participants disaapear! Takes me back to a former life as a corporate trainer!
And also that song. I LOVED that song back in the 1980's!

 
At 12 April, 2008 08:45 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

And it made me laugh too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home