Tuesday 26 August 2008

"Being Who We Are" - Wood Floors, 2006

I've suddenly realized that I'm not sure who "we" are for me.

This problem began to manifest itself during the Beijing Olympics. Why? Because as Britons were marvelling at the performance of Team GB, I found myself occasionally saying "We are doing so well!" And then I caught myself. I realized that I couldn't really say "we". I'm not a real Brit. I just live here.

And could I say "we" when referring to the US Olympics team? Sure I could - by birth, anyway. But it didn't seem fair, really, to put too much claim on a team from a country that is no longer my country of residence.

So that leaves me....where, exactly???

Maybe I shouldn't think so much. I'd be less melancholy if I didn't think so hard about life sometimes.

But the fact is, I just couldn't help thinking about this "we" issue. Thinking about it a lot.

Let's take stock here. My most important "we" is my marriage and relationship with John. I can't imagine finding a more perfect partner! John is the greatest gift I've ever received in my life.

So that's great. I'm a "we" with my husband.

But from there, it starts getting a little murky.

Perhaps I'll feel more like a part of the "we" of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland when I take British citizenship. I believe I'll eventually do that. The admin is a little difficult to accomplish right now, but it isn't impossible. (I should write a post about this - it has to do with was I physically in the UK exactly three years prior to the exact date that UK officials receive my citizenship application - not easy to manage when I've travelled out of the UK as much as I have for work over the past 5+ years.)

Maybe, then, being a "dual" (holding passports and citizenship for both the US and the UK) will help.

At the risk of sounding even more goofy than usual, I can only say - we'll see!

Janet

What have I been listening to recently? Go see at Auditory Cortex.

4 Comments:

At 27 August, 2008 13:48 , Blogger bronx boy said...

The "we" dilemma can also be said to true for your TX and NYC allegiance. Each is a part of you and makes you who you are.

 
At 27 August, 2008 16:21 , Blogger Jannie Funster said...

"Us and them...

But afterall we're only ordinary men"

Hey, Pink Floyd said it best, didn't they? We all just fokes. And we part of the Greater Whole.

(Wow, I'm deep today!)

Jannie

 
At 28 August, 2008 02:40 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still a citizen of Uk but if you can do dual citizenship that seems ideal.Left a comment on your "Dirt Farmer"

 
At 28 August, 2008 04:33 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so with you on this. Two trips ago the guy at the desk at Heathrow asked me whether I lived in the UK or in the states and I stood there completely blank. I solved this in this case by cheering for particular athletes and not countries. I was equally invested in UK and US individual athletes not to mention the occasional Aussie.

I'll be interested in your citizenship story since that might affect me too; I counted recently and I'm in the UK about 70% of the time and all but a week or two of the travel is work not fun, and most of it is back to the US although some is to Europe proper.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home