Wednesday 5 November 2008

"A Change is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke, 1964

Little did Sam Cooke know, in 1964, what an historic event would occur here in the year 2008...and that an American blogger would use this song as the subject for a post about the election of a very special President of the United States!

I am very excited about the results of yesterday's US Presidential election. I am fully aware that not all of my friends, family members, or blog readers will share my enthusiasm. I hope that what transpires in the coming days will prove that their fears have no justification whatsoever.

John and I both lost a lot of sleep last night, as we were awake and following the election coverage on the BBC. I'm so grateful for their wall-to-wall television coverage, beginning around 6pm Eastern Standard Time in the US. For me, it made being so far from my birth home much easier to bear.

There are, as would be expected, many many articles to read today about what yesterday's election results mean for America. I'll steer you to one from my favorite political writer, Joe Klein, from "Time" magazine.

Meanwhile, now it's time for Obama to begin the process of helping American heal itself. I think the photo which follows - from the Obama campaign - really represents what's about to happen...when the candidate comes out from behind the curtain and faces his future as the 44th President of the United States.



Janet

5 Comments:

At 05 November, 2008 15:35 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came to America from England in 1956,worked with Core and the NAACP for civil rights in the 50's and 60's.I went to the march on Washington.Today i am very happy.The spirit of The March on Washington was very evident last night.

 
At 06 November, 2008 00:34 , Blogger Unknown said...

If only Sam could've lived to see the vision in his song played out...Regardless, I know he's smiling now.

Erik Greene
Author, “Our Uncle Sam: The Sam Cooke Story From His Family's Perspective”
www.OurUncleSam.com

 
At 06 November, 2008 04:53 , Blogger Unknown said...

A truly historic and great day

 
At 06 November, 2008 15:17 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an American too visiting the UK who spent the entire night watching the election results with rapt anticipation. I jumped with joy and even cried tears just as millions did around the world that very moment Barak Obama was declared the winner.

 
At 06 November, 2008 19:39 , Blogger Disco D said...

After winning the 2008 United States presidential election, Barack Obama declared to his supporters in Chicago that, "It's been a long time coming, but tonight, ... change has come to America." This was an obvious reference to Sam Cooke's song and how Obama's history defining victory is in many ways a fulfillment of the message and hope reflected in the song.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home