Saturday 21 March 2009

"Deep in the Grass" - Saul Stokes, 1997

One of my favorite signs of spring in Britain is the appearance of various kinds of early-spring flowers. Among them are the primrose - here's a photo of some. It's a plant I'd heard of before, when I lived in the States. But I had never before seen them in abundance as I do here. And the people who previously lived in our house obviously were big fans, because they are all over our garden in the spring.

This afternoon, while doing a little work in the our back garden, I noticed that a lot of little primrose plants are growing in the midst of our small amount of lawn back there. We hadn't noticed them from the house, because they aren't blooming yet. We're used to dealing with moss and weeds in the grass. But primrose plants?

The primose in the lawn seem to be in an arc around one side of our bird table. You don't suppose we've been feeding our birds primose seeds throughout the winter, do you?

If the birds' feathers are especially brightly-colored this year, I guess we'll know! ;-)

Janet

3 Comments:

At 22 March, 2009 21:50 , Blogger essbdee said...

they are incredibly cheerful with their startling colour after dreadfully gray English winters :) I too love them... and the fact that you can pick up a pot for about 50p brings instant cheer even more!

 
At 23 March, 2009 17:31 , Blogger Expat mum said...

Things are starting to pop out over here but it's still quite cold. My garden is a mess though. Very sad.

 
At 28 March, 2009 13:27 , Blogger Jannie Funster said...

We have little primroses along the highways here now too, pink ones. Lots of bluebonnets now too. It is a glorious time of year, makes you think all great thigns are possible.

And in case you may be interested, you can see me singing and playing a song in video on my blog today!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home