Thursday 24 November 2005

"Far From Home" - Neil Young, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my American readers!

I'm afraid I'm having one of those rare bouts of homesickness today. But it was completely to be expected, given the significance of the day to me. Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. It's "Christmas" without the commercial side. It's food and family and laughter and fun without all the presents. And I always loved it.

I'm feeling very far from home. But what I have to remember is that even if I was back in the States today, Thanksgivings of old can never be resurrected. What I'm homesick for the most are times, places, and people from the past. So I believe I'm feeling a longing for the past today more than really experiencing homesickness.

I've just gotten back from a trip to Marks & Spencer Food with a fancyish chicken dish, a prepared veggie casserole (a potato and spinach gratin) and lovely wine for tonight's dinner with John, here at his house. It's not "pilgrim food", of course, but I'll be with the person in the world who is absolutely positively numero uno on my list of what I'm thankful for.

And that's what counts!!!

Janet

3 Comments:

At 25 November, 2005 08:35 , Blogger Laura said...

Janet, sounds like you had a lovely evening. I cooked up one of my darlin's favorite meals, which watching him enjoy made me thankful.

I had a armful of flowers placed in my arms when he got home, given by the man I love because he knew I was down a bit. For that, he made me thankful.

Isn't love grand?

 
At 25 November, 2005 12:00 , Blogger Janet said...

Yes, "Alice" -- love IS grand!

Hope you two had a nice Thanksgiving evening as well!

Janet

 
At 27 November, 2005 18:23 , Blogger Wendy said...

That IS what counts. (And if it makes you feel any better, our turkey was dry!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home