Friday 11 November 2005

"True" - Spandau Ballet, 1983

John and I really like general knowledge quiz shows on TV. We enjoy trying to answer the questions ourselves -- out loud -- and we like the informal challenge of who gets the most answers right.

However, we've both been known to make up really stupid, joke answers when we don't have a clue what the correct answer is.

Early this year, we were watching
"Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" on ITV. One of the questions had to do with the artist Frida Kahlo. Now, I know a little bit about her because of my former sister-in-law Sue. I even have a book about Kahlo's work in my living room. So when the question was asked, "What nationality was the artist Frida Kahlo?" -- and I shouted out "Mexican" -- John started laughing. He thought I'd made that answer up. I suppose it did sound a little odd, given her name. But then when one of the four choices as answers included "Mexican", he stopped laughing. He couldn't believe I knew the answer...and that it was such an unexpected one.

We still laugh about that incident. And John's payback to me came just this evening.

We've been sitting here watching a BBC quiz show called
"Eggheads". One of the teams participating was asked a question about a particular British wrestler. Needless to say, I have no knowledge at all of that subject. But John shouted out, "Giant Haystacks"! I thought he was joking -- so in response, I suggested "Pea Brain". John just looked over at me...not laughing at all. And sure enough, the answer was Giant Haystacks! That was just too weird to be real, in my opinion. A bit like Frida being Mexican. And I thought he was kidding. But nope...he actually knew the correct answer.

We're just going to have to learn that each of us does sometimes tell the truth on these occasions!

Janet

5 Comments:

At 11 November, 2005 19:36 , Blogger Clear Creek Girl said...

I'd have to say John won that round. Knowledge of 'Giant Haystacks' has to out-obscure a general acquaintance with that famous Mexican artist who had an affair with Leon Trotsky (in Mexico) before Lenin had him assassinated.

 
At 11 November, 2005 21:26 , Blogger Janet said...

Fossilguy -- WOW! John's impressed with your comment! You shouldn't do anything to add to his big head, however!

Thanks for the comment...

Janet

 
At 12 November, 2005 02:07 , Blogger Andrew said...

Giant Haystacks was big when I was a kid but he was the official bad guy and always, always fought with and lost to a wrassler called 'Big Daddy' who wore a Union Jack leotard.

 
At 12 November, 2005 14:57 , Blogger Janet said...

Andrew,

Yup -- John remembers the very same thing!

I just thought that name too weird to be real. I should have known better!

Janet

(lordcelery.blogspot.com)

 
At 13 November, 2005 19:54 , Blogger Wendy said...

I laughed out loud! Thanks for the lift!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home