Monday 16 January 2006

"Hungry Like The Wolf" - Duran Duran, 1982

The newlyweds are back in the UK!

Our heads clearly aren't in the correct time zone yet. We're horribly jet-lagged -- or are we just looking for an excuse for being so lazy, maybe? In any event, we had a wonderful wedding trip to the States, and we're starting to post some of the photos online. (If you'd like the URL for my Smugmug page with the wedding photos, just post me a note here and I'll see that you get it.)

But why the title song?

It's because of a TSA officer who went through one of my carry-on bags at the Houston airport, as we were being screened for our flight back to Gatwick on Friday night. She must have been hungry. Very hungry, I suspect -- and in fact I subsequently saw her and a colleague nearly running to get some food from one of the myriad of vendors in Terminal E.

But I digress.

Within one of my two carry-on bags, the TSA screeners saw what they suspected could be a knife. So they sent one of their employees off with me to a table for a full take-everything-apart-inspection of that bag. And in it, I'd put several zip-lock bags with various munchies for John and me for the 9+ hour trip back to the UK. One bag contained the remains of a can of Planter's deluxe mixed nuts we'd bought at a Walgreen's in New Mexico. There were Mini Oreos. There were two Snickers bars. And there were several cereal bars, too.

When the young woman working for the TSA hit that section of my bag, she loudly exclaimed, "Man, you've got some good snacks in here!".

I couldn't help but chuckle. In the UK, she might have simply said...."Wicked!".

Nice to be back, folks, but it'll be very hard to go back to work tomorrow. I still spend 'way too much time playing with and admiring my new wedding ring!

Janet

PS I wasn't really carrying a knife in my bag!

3 Comments:

At 18 January, 2006 19:35 , Blogger Wendy said...

I'd like to see the photos! And I like your taste in snacks!

 
At 19 January, 2006 13:10 , Blogger Laura said...

Glad you both got back safely, and glad to read you had a marvelous time!

p.s. You could have brought some decent weather back with you though. Or did they take that away from you at the Houston Airport? Heh.

 
At 20 January, 2006 19:15 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

Welcome home to the UK John and Janet. We liked the photos very much. Where's home now?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home