Friday 30 December 2005

"Over the Rainbow" - Judy Garland, 1939

My good friends know a secret about me. And God bless him, John's learned about it, too...over the years.

Whenever I hear the strains of "Somewhere, over the rainbow..." sung by anybody and sung in any context, I cry. It's guaranteed. I don't know why. The song just touches something very deep inside me...something I can't explain.

I've chosen it for tonight's title because I feel like I'm headed off to finally find what's over the rainbow for the first time in my life. John and I get married next week, in New Mexico, and we leave here tomorrow to spend the night at the airport before our early-morning January 1st flights to and within the US.

We both feel that our lives are getting a fresh start. We can't wait!

I'll try to write from the road, if I can. But please forgive me if Lord Celery's a little silent until our return in a few weeks.

Be good, everybody! And HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Janet

6 Comments:

At 31 December, 2005 02:52 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a version of 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' played on ukelele by Hawaiian performer Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole (yeah, I had to look it up) which almost has ME blubbering. If you haven't heard it before, I'd recommend you hunt it down.

Anyhoo, have a splendid time in NM - I'll give you a wave from Bailey. Congrats on the nuptuals and hi to Mr Janet.

 
At 31 December, 2005 04:41 , Blogger Mr. Greg said...

I myself prefer the Sarah Vaughan version. Best wishes.

 
At 31 December, 2005 15:53 , Blogger Wendy said...

Have a lovely wedding. What a nice way to start the year.

 
At 02 January, 2006 15:49 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

I am so, so happy for you both.

Have a very special day. Hope to meet with you both in 2006.

Iain "Oiled Soup" Cameron

 
At 04 January, 2006 08:54 , Blogger Laura said...

Not only Happy New Year, Janet, but congratulations and best wishes on your wedding day to you and Mr. Janet. Have a wonderful trip.

 
At 06 January, 2006 23:17 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I am late - had to make a last minute trip to NYC. All the best to you and John. I still prefer the Judy Garland rendition.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home