Friday 9 December 2005

"The Young Ones" - Cliff Richard, 1962

I had to call my British electricity provider this afternoon, to discuss a bill. I got one of what's probably a legion of Southern Electric customer service reps...and at least it sounded like I'd reached somebody in England, not Calcutta. That was the first surprise.

After I'd given her my account number, the young woman excitedly asked me if I was an American. She quickly followed that question with the comment, "I really love your accent!" I told her that yes, I am indeed American.

And what was her follow-up comment?

It was the so typical expression from the young people in Britain...:"Wicked!"

It's been one of the highlights of my day!

Janet

3 Comments:

At 09 December, 2005 21:34 , Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

When I first got internet access, about 10 years ago, I began corresponding with a woman in England. She and her girlfriends would get trashy-drunk, and call me on Friday nights, pass the phone around and coo over my accent, saying "you're just lovely!" I loved that!

Sadly, I've lost track of her, ask around for a Jane Barwick while you're there, will you?

 
At 10 December, 2005 04:34 , Blogger Mr. Greg said...

I've been working my favorite British expresion "brilliant" into conversation and blogging and now I must add "wicked."

 
At 10 December, 2005 14:17 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's "cool" that you are so "wicked" :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home