Friday 9 June 2006

"How Insensitive" - Frank Sinatra & Tom Jobim, 1967

Two images, published widely in the press here today, are disturbing me this morning.

The first is the
battered face of the late Abu Musab al-Zarquawi. I hope that the situation in Iraq will be improved by his removal from the equation. But I don't believe that it serves any possible humane purpose -- especially for the relationship between the Islamic and the Western worlds -- to plaster the face of a dead man on the front page of major newspapers.

The second is something I didn't discover until I went through online overnight news this morning. It's a piece of so-called art called
"Sven's Last Supper", featuring the England manager and team in place of Christ and his disciples. I think it's in poor taste.

+++++++++++

OK...I'll get off my soapbox now and write about other, more intriguing items...

> Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go!...the World Cup begins this afternoon in Germany!

> Plus, there's an F1 Grand Prix race in England at Silverstone on Sunday.

> And...who will be evicted from the "Big Brother" house tonight -- Sam or Nikki? ;)

Have a great weekend, everybody, however you choose to spend it!


Janet

1 Comments:

At 11 June, 2006 03:51 , Blogger Heather Plett said...

I totally agree with you on the battered face pic. It's on all the papers here too, and in one of them they showed the huge framed picture of it they had on display at the press conference about his death. Made me feel a little ill. What's next - they'll march around town with his head on a post? Are we not any further removed from our barbaric ancestors?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home