Thursday 28 August 2008

"Addicted to Love" - Robert Palmer, 1985

Sometimes I get an idea for a post. And before it's actually on the page, it takes an interesting twist. Such is the case with today's entry here on Lord Celery. I promise I'll explain my choice of song title later.

OK. So the original idea for the post was to tell my non-British friends and family about John's discovery this week.

I was feeling a little down last weekend. The Olympics were over. And the two weeks of US political conventions were kicking off this week, starting with the Democrats in Denver. As over-the-top as the conventions can be, I was sad to not get to see any of the coverage.

That's where John comes in. On Tuesday, he discovered that our TV channel called BBC Parliament is repeating the US convention coverage - from America's C-SPAN - off and on the following day! Yippee! Problem solved, then, and John's watching right along with me. I wonder if he's keeping count of how many times he's hearing phrases like "the great state of....", "the American dream", and "I'm the very first person in my family to go to college."?

Last night, as we watched coverage of Tuesday evening's convention activities - including the entertaining speech from Brian Schweitzer, the governor of Montana - John suggested that I take a photo of the TV screen to show Lord Celery readers what we're seeing. It is interesting to see American political coverage on British TV, with a logo saying BBC Parliament in the upper left corner!


(Click on the photo for a full-sized image.)

Obviously this photo was taken during Hillary Clinton's speech. John and I both laughed at the label "Hillary's husband" which was put on a shot of Bill Clinton during his wife's speech!

Now that's where the story would have ended...until this morning.

As I was getting ready for work, John just happened to turn on BBC Parliament in time to see Bill Clinton's own speech from Denver on Wednesday night. Knowing that I'm a big fan of Clinton's (I know that's a controversial comment for many of my friends), he came downstairs to tell me. I uncharacteristically turned on the little TV in our kitchen, as I ate my crumpets and peanut butter.

As usual, Mr. Clinton made a fantastic speech. Better than his wife's from Tuesday night, and that's saying a lot. I was really glad John had discovered that the speech was on TV this morning.

And here's where today's title song comes in.

When the former president's speech finished, and the resulting applause finally died down, the music that swelled in the background was - oh yes - "Addicted to Love"! ("...you know you're gonna have to face it, you're addicted to love.") I burst into laughter! How could the convention organizers have made such a gaff - or was it supposed to be a joke? I don't know. But it was absolutely hilarious!

Janet

Come see what I've been listening to at Auditory Cortex!

4 Comments:

At 28 August, 2008 12:03 , Blogger John Nolan said...

Do you mean Hillarious?

 
At 28 August, 2008 15:05 , Blogger bronx boy said...

As you know I have never been a big Bill Clinton fan but his speech last night was great! I agree with John that it was Hillarious and I am just Biden my time to Election Day.

 
At 28 August, 2008 15:27 , Blogger Janet said...

You two are just too pun-ny for words! Thanks for making me laugh AGAIN today!

Janet

 
At 29 August, 2008 10:52 , Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I imagine all the speeches are availaable on Youtube? Possibly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home