Sunday 21 June 2009

"U Can't Touch This" - MC Hammer, 1990

I moved a couple of really charming striking clocks over to England with me six and a half years ago. One of them made the trip just fine. The other didn't fare so well. It hasn't run since it was unpacked in April 2003.

I just haven't gotten around to having the clock serviced. Well, actually, I haven't found any recommended clock repairers yet. And I just can't bear to turn the clock over to just anybody.

Over the years, I kept thinking that perhaps it was wound too tightly before the move. Certainly, there's no way the key will turn any farther to wind the main clock mechanism. So off and on, I've opened up the back and tried to manually get it to run, just to loosen it up. But nothing has worked.

I really don't know why, but I tried again this afternoon. Lo and behold, it started running on its own! But I couldn't leave well enough alone. I started moving the hands to reset the time. It stopped again. Damn.

Undaunted, though, I played with one of the little wheels in the mechanism for about 20 more minutes before it restarted itself. And this time, it kept running.

So John told me to not touch it...to not even think about moving it or touching it for a day or so. And of course he was right, no matter how tempted I've been to make the time correct.

The clock is still on the dining room table, where I was messing with it. And every time I walk past the door, MC Hammer's famous single becomes the soundtrack in my head.

But I refrain from dancing. I'm an awful dancer.

Janet

1 Comments:

At 03 July, 2009 05:08 , Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Ah, I missed this post! Last autumn when I was packing up the country casa, I moved a clock from Clint's mantle that hadn't run for--something like 79 years. I merely transferred it from the mantle...to a shelf.

Tick, tock, tick...the clock's been running since I touched it, and I secretly think I'm the Messiah.

Ask me what time it is!

(ok, it's a weird coincidence...I'll admit)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home