Wednesday 25 January 2006

"I've Just Seen A Face" - Beatles, 1965

I saw a ghost this morning, on the Thameslink commuter train into London from John's house. It has disturbed me all day.

Soon after I first started my oil industry career, I met my friend Penny. She worked in the Texaco Houston trading group with me, and we became very good friends. Although we lost contact over the last few years of her life, I always thought of her fondly...she was a unique, special person, although her personality could sometimes be exasperating.

As you might have guessed from what I just wrote, Penny is no longer with us. She died just prior to the 9-11 terrorist attack in 2001...from breast cancer. I found myself feeling a bit relieved that she didn't know what had happened on the 11th of September, as Penny loved New York City so much.

But this morning, her ghost was sitting there on the Thameslink train heading into London. It was Penny -- frozen in time, just as I remember her from the early-1980's.

The woman could be her twin. She dressed like Penny. She moved like Penny. She was the same height and body shape. She even wore lots and lots of eye makeup in Penny's famous style. The only thing I couldn't compare was her voice, as she was too far away from where I was sitting for me to hear any of her conversation with the man in the next seat on the train. It's probably just as well, too. Penny's ghost is probably an Englishwoman, and hearing her speak would have completely spoiled my fantasy.

When the woman-from-the-train got off at Farringdon Station, I had to resist the urge to follow her to see where she was going. But I had work of my own to do today, and there was no time to indulge my curiosity.

Never in my life have I ever seen the "twin" of someone else I know. It was spooky that it was Penny's twin, and I remain haunted by her image even tonight.

Janet

2 Comments:

At 25 January, 2006 21:34 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comments brought a smile to my face thinking about Penny. She was a good person and is still missed by those of us who knew her.

 
At 27 January, 2006 10:33 , Blogger Laura said...

Whoa. Although, I have heard (also) that everyone has a "twin." You must of met Penny's.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home